LAWRENCE R. JONES CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
A) Judge of the New Jersey Superior Court (retired 2017).
B) Author: 62 Opinions on Novel Issues of Law.
C) New Jersey Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges: President (2014-15); Vice-President (2013-14).
D) Judicial College Faculty: Served on the faculty of the Judiciary's annual Judicial College for 7 consecutive years (2010-16), training other Superior Judges on various aspects of family law, and developing and presenting or co-presenting newly developed programs, and authoring or co-authoring materials, including:
- 2012-16: Recent Developments in Family Law (Annual Panelist)
- 2015: Harassment: Drawing the Line Between Domestic Arguments and Domestic Violence
- 2014: Addressing Small Business Issues without an Expert
- 2013: Pendente Lite Support Applications
- 2012: Support Issues for Children over 18
- 2011: High Conflict Custody Cases
- 2010: Autism and Divorce: Children with Special Needs
E) Author / co-Author of Judicial Bench Guides for Superior Court Judges.
- Parenting issues for children with disabilities
- Child Support for children over 18
- Harassment under the Domestic Violence Act
F) New Jersey Continuing Legal Education Panelist (2010 – present).
- International Child Custody Disputes (2010)
- Alimony (2013)
- Domestic Violence (2014)
- Comprehensive Family Law (2015)
- May it Please the Family Court (2015)
- Alimony (2015)
- Cohabitation (2016)
- Family Law Summer Institute (2016)
- Social Media in Family Court Litigation (2016)
- Calculating and Adjudicating Child Support (2016)
- Handling Middle Class Divorce (2017)
- Child Custody Roundtable (2017)
- Family Law Symposium (2018)
- Impact of The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 on Divorce (2018)
- Autism and Divorce (2018)
- Anatomy of a Matrimonial Case Information Statement (2018 )
- Professionalism in Family Law Practice (2018)
- Settling Difficult Cases: Getting to the Finish Line (2018)
- Legal Issues Under the "New" Alimony Statute (2018)
- From the Classroom to the Courtroom: Lessons in Law and Life (2018)
- Economic Coercion as a Form of Domestic Violence (2018)
G) Presenter: New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators (NJAPM)
- Mediation Skills for Divorce and Civil Mediators (2018, Annual Advanced Divorce/Civil Seminar)
- Mediating a Divorce Between Parents of a Child with Autism (2018)
- Mediation Tips (2018)
- N.J. Family Court: The Year in Review (2018)
H) Guest Lecturer at Harvard Law School (2012, 2013), Seton Hall School of Law (2015)
I) Chairman of Editorial Board of New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, the official publication of the New Jersey State Bar Association (2007-09).
Served as Special Editor of 11 editions (2001-2009)
- Making New Law (February 2001)
- Election Law (April 2001)
- Class Actions (June 2002)
- Special Education Law (June 2003)
- Expert Witnesses (August 2004)
- Criminal Law (February 2005)
- Animal Law (August 2005)
- Local Government Law (December 2006)
- Military Law (June 2007)
- Homeland Security Law (October 2007)
- Child Custody (August 2009)
J) Author: 55 Published Articles on Legal Issues in Multiple Publications.
K) Served on N.J. Council for Developmental Disabilities and Governor’s Adults with Autism Task Force; Chair of Task Force’s subcommittee on Legal Issues.
L) Developed the Dover (Toms River) Township Mayor's Advisory Committee on Developmental Disabilities. Served as first-ever Chairman (featured as cover story in April 2005 edition of New Jersey Municipalities magazine). Developed 12-part public educational seminar series on multiple issues of significance to developmental disabilities community (2003-2005).
M) Recipient, Ocean County Superior Court Law Day Award for Citizenship.
N) On-air Legal Analyst, WJLK Radio Asbury Park (1998-2000); provided legal commentary on multiple legal trials of interest to the general public including; President Clinton's impeachment trial and Elian Gonzales custody case.
O) Author: When a Marriage Ends: 30 Key Legal Points (2000).
P) Author: Divorce Public Education Tapes for Ocean and Monmouth County Public Library System (1999).
Q) Creator, "The People's Law Clinic," Series of library sponsored seminars on legal education for the public, teaching laypersons how to represent themselves in court. Conducted at multiple libraries in Ocean and Monmouth Counties from 2000- 2003.
R) 2002: Co-created pro baseball's first-ever "Autism Awareness Day," with the Philadelphia Phillies' minor league system; later created major league Autism Awareness Days.
S) 2003: Partnered with the New York Yankees major league baseball team to create the first ever “New York Yankees’ Autism Awareness Night”; honored by the United States Senate and the Autism Society of America for this project.
T) 2004: Partnered with the Florida Marlins major league baseball team to create the first ever “Florida Marlins’ Autism Awareness Night”; honored by the Autism Society of America for this project (2004-05).
U) Co-Created public education program at Rutgers University, "Parents and School Districts: Perspectives from Both Sides" featuring legal experts on parents' rights and school district rights on special education (Featured on News12 NJ).
V) Co-Creator, Public Forum for Families of Disabled Children, a county-wide library program for families to interface with local elected leaders.
X) Author: "The Settlement Series" (New Jersey Law Journal: 10 part series (October-December 2017).
Link to Settlement Series
Lawrence R. Jones Mediation and Arbitraction Serving; Mercer County NJ, Somerset County NJ, Gloucester County NJ, Atlantic County NJ, Sussex County NJ, Cumberland County NJ, Hunterdon County NJ, Warren County NJ, Cape May County NJ, Salem County NJ, Bergen County NJ, Essex County NJ, Middlesex County NJ, Monmouth County NJ, Hudson County NJ, Ocean County NJ, Union County NJ, Camden County NJ, Passaic County NJ, Morris County NJ, Burlington County NJ